Psychiatrist - Company Message

Categories

HEALTHCARE NEWS
MENTAL HEALTH NEWS
powered by

My Blog

BECOMING A HAPPY EMPTY NESTER

What is empty nest syndrome?

Empty nest syndrome occurs when parents experience feelings of sadness and loss as their last child leaves home. Though many parents encourage and support their children in becoming independent, watching them leave is nonetheless painful. You might wake up to a shockingly quiet house, no longer filled with children who need your attention. There is plenty to miss — being involved in their daily lives, the constant sound of people around and all the time you spent taking care of their needs. Many parents feel depressed, confused and a deep sense of purposelessness when they no longer have a child’s needs taking up so much of their time.
On top of being plagued by these powerful emotions, you might also be concerned about your child’s safety out there in the world alone. You may even doubt that they’ll be able to take care of themselves without you there to guide them. This transition can be an especially big struggle if your last child leaves the nest sooner than you hoped. If you only have one child or see your main purpose in life as being a parent, you might have a significantly harder time adjusting to an empty nest.
What’s the impact of empty nest syndrome?
In the past, people thought that empty nest syndrome, if not dealt with, would lead to depression, substance abuse, identity crisis and marriage/relationship issues. This can still be true.

Those at the greatest risk of experiencing empty nest symptoms are:
  • People with a history of struggling with separation and change.
  • Full-time parents.
  • People dealing with health issues, retirement and aging parents of their own.
  • Parents who believe their child is not prepared to leave home.

The good news is that while those issues are a concern, they aren’t a concern for everyone. For most, symptoms of empty nest syndrome decrease over time and can be prevented, mitigated or treated.
Recent studies suggest that an empty nest might actually enhance lives by improving relationships and boosting freedom — both yours and your child’s. After an initial period of loss, or manageable fluctuations of sadness, many empty nesters saw a reduction in work stress and family conflicts. When your last child leaves home, yes, it can be sad, but it can also be a new opportunity to reconnect with your partner, your friends and your life. Without the added stress of kids at home, you have more time to devote to your marriage, hobbies and yourself. One of the best ways to cope healthily with an empty nest is to be prepared.

How can I get ready for an empty nest?
  1. Plan Ahead
  2. The benefit here is two-fold — you can plan for your first few weeks without a child at home, and you can  be better prepared for life on his or her own. We’re all in different places when we take that first step out. Some young adults have never done their own laundry, while others have been responsible for paying their bills on time. Assess your child’s self-sufficiency and what skills they need to learn to land on their feet. Then, .Take a vacation, , start a part-time job or a new class. Take stock of the free time you’ll now have, and find a way to fill at least a portion of it up right away.
  3. Get Reacquainted with Your Partner
  4. You’ve spent the last 18 years, at least, as mom and dad, and now you get to . Take a staycation or second honeymoon where you can  to each other in your newly-empty home. Your relationship is yours again. Celebrate together!
  5. Dream Big
  6. Make a list of things you always wanted to do but never had the time or resources for because of your children. Maybe it’s time to consider a whole a new career or look into going back to college and getting a degree. Maybe a road trip to national parks or the country’s biggest cities is on your list.  Get your passport ready and take the plunge. Open the doors and see what adventures await.
  7. Plan and Dream, But Avoid Big Changes
  8. It’s OK to let your imagination run wild, but try not to make any big moves just yet. Vacations aside, take time to adjust instead of immediately throwing your house on the market. It can take  to fully adjust to an empty nest, so indulge with caution. Plus, you’ll want to be available in case that young adult turns out to be a boomerang child, and within a few months flies back into the nest.
  9. Connect with other Empty Nesters
  10. You aren’t the first and only person to go through empty nest syndrome. There are thousands of other  who are going through a similar experience. Reach out to them through social media, community centers, church, work and networking websites. Think about your child’s friends; their parents are likely having empty nest feelings too. Reach out — it can help you and them.What do I do when the nest is finally empty?In an ideal world, you wouldn’t wait until your child leaves home to think about how this will impact you. The sooner you create a plan to get ahead of these emotions, the better off you will be when your child leaves home. Starting to prepare when your children are still young isn’t just about preparing you — it’s also about gradually making sure the  and exciting for everyone.Even still, you can only plan and prepare so much. What happens when you wake up at 2 a.m. in cold sweats because you no longer know your purpose in life? Here are some  to use to prepare and maintain emotional health and stability when dealing with an empty nest:
    • Make a list of the roles you currently fill that require the bulk of your time and energy. Some examples include: partner, parent, friend, family member, pet owner, job title and volunteer roles. Also, if you are really into a sport or activity — you regularly train for and run marathons or play on a recreational softball league — include those, too. Then, go through your list and rank them by importance, first in responsibility and second in time.
    • Determine which roles you want to expand, and come up with ideas for how to do it. For instance, if you have a spouse or partner, you could expand that role by trying to discover new mutual interests that allow you to spend more time together. If you are single, maybe with the final child out of the house, you finally have the time to enter the dating world.
    • Make a list of things you always wanted to try, adventures you always wanted to have, and hobbies you set aside long ago for parenthood. Check out activities at community colleges that help you connect to people with similar interests, or visit websites like Meetup.com to find group activities. If you have trouble getting started, don’t worry. Parenting has been your primary extracurricular activity for decades. It’s only natural to feel a bit rusty. Flip through old photos and connect with old friends to rekindle interests you had before your children entered your life.
    • Start a project. While it’s far too soon to think about turning your child’s old room into a home office, there are plenty of other things that you can do around the house to help you adjust to the new dynamic. Declutter and organize nooks and catch-alls that have piled up over the years. This doubles as an accomplishment and a way to renew the energy you feel in your home. Reorganizing and tossing old clutter may motivate you to make the home upgrades that you’ve always wanted or inspire projects that transition well as you and your family enter new stages of life.

Most importantly, try to  before your child moves out so that your calendar, and life, is full before they leave. It’s only natural to feel a sense of loss when your last child moves out, so don’t worry if you don’t feel excited or overjoyed at first. You’ll get there in your own time. Try to get involved in new activities and interests that allow you to focus on your emotional adjustment and reduce some of the emptiness you feel, both in your home and your heart.

26 Comments to BECOMING A HAPPY EMPTY NESTER:

Comments RSS
ANAM on Sunday, March 11, 2018 7:14 AM
GOOS POST

resume planet on Monday, May 28, 2018 4:25 AM
I personally experienced this. My mom had her stroke last 2015, it was the time that my heart pumps like I am about to pass out, things are in slowmo, my mind is empty. I am so scared that time, I don't want to lose my mom, I am too young, I want her to see my achievements in the future. After that incident things changed, especially the mom I used to know, Now that my brothers are already married, she's always too emotional, but then as me and my siblings talked, we have to adjust things for my mom. It's not easy, but I love my mom so much that's why I am doing everything for her not to feel that way. I want her to know that I am still here.

essay cloud on Thursday, March 22, 2018 12:53 AM
Physical training is much more important for healthy life but you are offer best method of workout which I was searching from many others tool. I appreciate your all team member who take efforts to manage this task. Thank you!

rush essay on Monday, July 16, 2018 2:25 AM
There is nothing in this world that is more precious to a parent than their child. The parent's love for their kid is genuine and unconditional. Our parents can love us more than they can love themselves. Our parents willing to sacrifice anything and everything just to give us a better future. So when a parent experience an Empty Nest Syndrome, it is a serious matter. They are not overreacting, the grief and loss that they are feeling is really depressing. They really need a helping hand to accompany them on this distressing journey of their life.

surfessay.com on Monday, April 23, 2018 5:04 AM
Will love to see the beautiful rooms that you are mentioning here. Just completing the project with good essay writing help from a professional, I will soon come for a stay there.

best resume writing services reviews on Tuesday, May 08, 2018 2:43 AM
You will truly miss the your kids when they leave the one true place they call home. The countless moments you've spent with them will truly be great memories. Although it's a pain in the heart to see them leave one by one the moment that you see them finally leaving is one worth remembering. You didn't realize it, but now you accomplished one of your goals. You finally raised your kids and now they've grown up to be dependable people. You can now start to plan for yourself and enjoy every fleeting moment. Seizing the day with your partner finally free from the worries that your kids might get hurt. You finally became a person who reached your golden years.

Steve John on Friday, August 10, 2018 3:57 AM
Yes i know that many people love to see such these type of posts. I am really very thankful to see this wonderful post. You have done a great job. Thanks for taking time to share. Quality playground tiles for safety

resumesplanet on Tuesday, May 08, 2018 3:54 AM
Oh, yeah. I've heard about this syndrome before. We all will experience it someday I think.

Karen on Tuesday, May 08, 2018 4:38 AM
Excellent.

Mumbai escorts on Wednesday, May 09, 2018 1:33 PM
very nice post

green arrow and black canary costumes on Friday, May 18, 2018 2:28 AM
When I seemed to be completely ready in addition to prepared test it out. This publishing workforce is a plus along with the touch-ups workforce more desirable since they hook problems of which possibly When i wouldn’t include paid attention too.

maverick25racing on Friday, May 18, 2018 11:15 AM
We commit errors much of the time and we gain from them and don't wear that slip-up again in our life. In the wake of perusing this exposition composing which has incredible data about such things and give us great answer for that.

alice on Thursday, May 24, 2018 11:03 PM
nice

Wanny on Friday, May 25, 2018 1:54 PM
It has always been a nice experience in reading your great blogs and in my opinion, I love your work too. I want you to check the great RapidTone Diet program and give it a try too.

Leslie Nelson on Saturday, May 26, 2018 12:36 AM
Thanks for posting best paper writing services this. I wish it was able to be translated, but for some reason

loemrntdherid1 on Wednesday, June 06, 2018 8:25 PM
That article is so interesting and makes a very nice image in my mind. That is very much helpful in nominating the board of directors.

pay someone to write my assignmen on Saturday, June 23, 2018 5:19 AM
There are a ton of locales online that offers assistance for writing essays and dissertation papers. Writing an essay or dissertation is a tedious procedure and as per the point it could take increasingly and need to gather all the required sources in advance. For individuals who don't have so much time and assets to save I truly prescribe a writing service

test on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 10:12 PM
testing

obat kanker paru paru on Monday, July 02, 2018 11:48 PM
Thanks http://jualherbal.id/pengobatan-kanker-paru-paru

voirel on Thursday, July 12, 2018 1:04 PM
Dr.Akpada thank you for helping me to resolve the dispute i had with my lover that lead to our break up but through the help of Dr.Akpada i can say we are back together for good. Reach Dr.Akpada on ([email protected] com) or whatssap +27844130246

epaulettes on Sunday, July 15, 2018 3:31 AM
This is an excellent post I have seen thanks share it. It is really what I wanted to see hope in future you will continue for sharing such an excellent post.

Tshirt Printing London on Sunday, July 15, 2018 4:07 AM
Your blog is quite interesting i found it very informatic thanx for posting

Case Soltuion on Monday, July 16, 2018 3:49 AM
Thanks A Lot For The Post. It Has Helped Me Get Some Nice Ideas. I Hope I Will See Some Really Good Result Soon.

Coursework Assignment Help Assistance on Monday, July 16, 2018 4:32 AM
I Personally Like Your Post, You Have Shared Good Article. It Will Help Me In Great Deal.

Spencer Hodgson on Thursday, August 09, 2018 10:52 PM
I am happy to be on this website, you have posted useful content which i like reading.I have bookmarked the website to read more similar articles. Top quality non slip for decking

Anonymous on Friday, August 10, 2018 12:19 AM
This is my first visit to this website, you have posted useful content which i like reading.I have gained information which i did not know before. Rubber matting